Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mirror in the Bathroom


Song: Mirror in the Bathroom
Artist: The Beat
Album: I Just Can’t Stop It




It’s Obscure 80’s Week! And I want your input…

I’ve done 80’s week before but I’m bringing it back and would like to, dear readers, challenge you to give me an 80’s song that I don’t know. So for this week of highlighting 80’s songs that I love, please leave a comment in any of this week’s entries with an 80’s song you think I should know and I will post and review my favorite next week. Thanks!

While some may argue that this isn’t very obscure… I feel that not enough people know about The Beat (Known as “English Beat” here in the US) and this is just a killer song. Killer!

The Beat were formed in Birmingham, England in 1978. Their debut album “I Just Can’t Stop It” put them on the map and produced three singles. They released three records, yet have had double that made in best of compilations. Their ska-influenced dance pop is really infectious. I have one of their double disc compilations and really love it to top bottom.

You might know them best for two reasons; the band Harvey Danger (remember them?) covered The Beat’s “Save it For Later” which was featured on the soundtrack to the film “200 Cigarettes” (and was a minor alt-rock hit.) But probably the BEST known The Beat moment, was the use of their song “March of the Swivelheads” in the film “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” It’s the song playing at the end of the film while Ferris is trying to beat his parents home. Fun.

I highly recommend getting into The Beat, they do a killer cover of Smokey Robinson’s “Tears of a Clown,” and have a just a ton of good originals. Check them out.

Enjoy.

Mirror in the Bathroom


Save it For Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They opened up for The Pretenders on their first american tour...Agora ballroom, Atlanta GA, 1980 and of course I already had the album. To bad that The Specials never really made it over here, with that Go Go's connection they should have.