Monday, April 28, 2008

You'll Find A Way (Switch & Sinden Remix)


Song: You'll Find A Way (Switch & Sinden Remix)
Artist: Santogold
Album: Santogold




I had first heard of Santogold several months ago and had listened to a few released tracks but wanted to wait until hearing her full debut record to really put forth an opinion. I wasn’t sure why I did this… I really liked what I had heard thus far, but I’m glad I did. After months and month of hype, the Philadelphia born ‘Santogold’ (born Santi White) has her self-titled debut being released tomorrow, April 29th.

I am glad I waited because while I liked what I initially heard, it sounded like an M.I.A. rip-off. Oddly, it was confirmed that the two women were actually friends, and that Switch and Diplo, M.I.A. collaborators, also worked on the record. Well it turns out that while songs like “Creator” bite M.I.A.’s style, the rest of the album is a wildly eclectic set of dancehall, dub, hip hop, and indie-rock. It’s quite something.

I really loved the early leaked track “You’ll Find a Way,” though it turns out it was actually a remix by Switch & Sinden. The album version is straight up indie-rock, which I really dug too. “Lights Out” sounds like a slice of mid 90’s alt-pop-rock (a-la Madder Rose) and “I’m a Lady” is Liz Phair meets Sinead O’Conner. “Shove it” is a fun slice of dancehall… the record is certainly a mix of a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

On paper I’m sure this sounds like a mess, but it only goes to show what a talent we’re dealing with. So I guess you can file it under “eponymous,” but just listen to it. It’s pretty thrilling. She has a killer voice too.

Enjoy.

L.E.S. Artists


Here she is “killing it”

No comments: