Friday, July 06, 2007

Wanna Be (w/Lily Allen)


Song: Wanna Be (w/Lily Allen)
Artist: Dizzee Rascal
Album: Maths & English




London born Dizzee Rascal burst onto the "Grime" scene back in 2003 just as the new electronic based hip hop was making waves in the media and record buying public. "Maths & English" is Dizzee's third full length album and has already been met with pretty universal good reviews. He's gone for a more 80's hip hop vibe on the record, as evident from the Rob Base sampling early leaked track "Pussyhole."

While I have liked some of Dizzee's songs, I will be honest and say that his style wears on me, and hard to get through a full album of his material. I appreciate it more than anything else as it's great to have hip hop that exists outside the tired recycled R&B beats and violence saturated negativity that you find in most popular hip hop. Because of his style, despite superstar status in the UK and Europe he's never had a hit in America, despite hip hop being the most popular genre here.

Lead single "Sirens" is vintage Dizzee, but for the pop lover in me I immediately fell for the Lily Allen duet "Wanna Be" that contains an infectious lyrical hook from Allen which, thanks to my musical theater minded boyfriend, I now is lifted from "So You Wanna Be a Boxer" from the show Bugsy Malone. You'll love it... and won't be able to get it out of your head!

Enjoy.

Maths & English lead single "Sirens"


One of my favorite Dizze tracks "Stand Up Tall"


"So You Wanna Be a Boxer" from Bugsy Malone

No comments: