Thursday, May 31, 2007

New York is a Woman


Song: "New York is a Woman"
Artist: Suzanne Vega
Album: Beauty & Crime




I went pretty bananas for Suzanne Vega’s album “99.9F” and have been a big fan since. Her debut ranks with some of the best in music history, she had possibly the craziest pop one-hit-wonder with a song about child abuse (“Luka”,) and… she like totally loves New York City. Out of nowhere (because of an extensive hiatus between records) comes a new album for 2007, “Beauty and Crime.” Her first, notably, on Blue Note. (She’s been with A & M Records since her debut.)

After the dour, post-divorce “Songs in Red and Gray” from 2001, I am happy to say that Suzanne is having fun again. After the one-two punch of the upbeat “99.9F” and “Nine Objects of Desire,” it’s nice to see her return to something more up-tempo. Kick-off track “Zephyr & I” bounces along with a persistent beat and a groovy bass lick that is new for Vega, and lead single “Frank & Ava” is folk rock with enfaces on the “rock.” Really good stuff.

My immediate favorite was the slower “New York is a Woman,” a beautiful walk through a beautiful city that once again reminds me just how plain GREAT a songwriter Vega is.

I for one am glad she is back.

Enjoy.

Some of my favorites…

“Blood Makes Noise”



“Caramel (live)”


“Tom’s Diner (DNA Remix)”


And this is the craziest thing I’ve ever seen…

No comments: