Friday, September 29, 2006

Take My Breath Away (Love Theme from "Top Gun")


Song: Take My Breath Away (Love Theme from "Top Gun")
Artist: Berlin
Album: Top Gun Soundtrack







There is a certain amount of pride, for reasons I can't really explain, that I have managed somehow to never see "Top Gun." I was a bit too young to see it in the theater, never rented it, and somehow have missed it on television. It always surprises me when people are shocked, SHOCKED! that I have somehow missed this touchstone of pop culture. I mean, it isn't exactly "Citizen Cane" right? And how many of you have never seen that? Hmmm?

I have not missed, however, Berlin's "Love Theme." "Take My Breath Away" is one of those songs, like Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" or "True" by Spandau Ballet, that are a necessity for every collection. These songs define an era where overblown and cheesy were totally accepted, and considered like... art. "Take My Breath Away" is also positively cinematic. Since I haven't seen the movie I don't know where it's used in the movie, but I can almost picture it myself... the hero saves the day, realizes how he feels about the girl that he's been involved with throughout the story, they see each other, the music swells, they run to each other... embrace, kiss... I imagine Cruise in his flight uniform, McGillis' hair blows in the wind... "Dumm de-dumm de-dumm, dumm-dumm, dumm-dumm" Awesome.

This song also comes from an era where there were actually pop love "themes" from movies. It's just too perfect that (Love Theme from "Top Gun") follows the song. They don't really do that anymore do they? "I Just Called to Say I Love You" from the Woman in Red, "The Time of My Life" from Dirty Dancing, "Up Where We Belong" from An Officer And a Gentleman, these songs are tied to the images from the films they accompany. Sure it's cheesy in a lot of ways... but at least we CARED about romance then. Have we lost that?

So I end movie week with a love theme, as we all need a little lovin' and it's a perfect way to step into your weekend. I recommend putting this on loud, in your apartment, or heck... in your office. EVERYONE will know it and while they might laugh at first, let the synths sweep you off your feet with images of love both eternal and everlasting...

"Dumm de-dumm de-dumm, dumm-dumm, dumm-dumm"

Enjoy.

No comments: