Monday, August 28, 2006

Alive



















Song: Alive
Artist: Pete Yorn
Album: Nightcrawler


Tomorrow marks the release of Pete Yorn's third full length album, "Nightcrawler." Pete's debut "Musicforthemorningafter" which was released in 2002, should be considered a modern masterpiece. He was correctly compared to Bruce Springsteen and poised to be one of the more important singer/songwriters that had emerged in the new millennium. The follow up, 2003's "Day I Forgot" was spotty, but still contained his trademark anthemic choruses and pretty ruminations about love and it's consequences.

I was HUGE into "Musicforthemorningafter" and do consider it one of the best albums of the last five years. It's hard to follow up something so profoundly great and while I enjoyed "Day I Forgot," it wasn't nearly as consistent as the prior album and contained his first truly awful song ("Burrito.") Unfortunately, after a couple spins of "Nightcrawler" I am worried that dear old Pete has released his first bad full album. It sounds like Pete, but this time it lacks hooks or anything that draws you in. To be fair, it took several listens of "Day I Forgot" to like it at all so I am still listening. But truly, the fire that his debut was built from is definitely fading.

Almost at random I have selected to highlight "Alive" as it's one of the more hooky songs on the record. If you love it, you just might like the breezy/slow vibe that runs throughout the album. A much better start is to pick up "Musicforthemorningafter" which has a great mix of uptempo rockers as well as slow songs that are truly memorable.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Morrissey said...

Pete Yorn is the best! Another solid album. My favorites are: Undercover, Policies, Georgie Boy and the man

Morrissey said...

Pete Yorn is the best! Another solid album. My favorites are: Undercover, Policies, Georgie Boy and the man