Monday, September 29, 2008

I’m on Fire (Cousin Cole’s Bad Desire Mix)


Song: I’m on Fire (Cousin Cole’s Bad Desire Mix)
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Album; I’m on Fire




It was recently announced that Bruce Springsteen would be performing during the half time show at next years Super Bowl. I probably will miss it, but thought why not highlight a cool remix of my absolute favorite song of his. “I’m on Fire” was the fourth single released from his massive 1984 album “Born in the U.S.A.” It toped the charts at #6, helping the album tie with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” and Janet Jackson’s ‘Rhythm Nation 1814” for the most top ten singles off one album, a total of seven.

Oddly, there were no official club remixes done of “I’m on Fire” and Springsteen has never done them since. Starting with “Dancing in the Dark,” the first single off “Born in the U.S.A.,” dance mixes were done of his songs to try to widen Bruce’s audience beyond… well white people. But that only lasted through “Cover Me” and the title track.

This recent remix is done by Brooklyn DJ and producer Cousin Cole who normally works in hip hop. (Check out his absolutely annoying looking MySpace page) He doesn’t alter the song too much, keeping the slow burning vibe but adding light electronic elements. It works for this track, as it’s one of the first songs the Boss ever used a synthesizer on.

I unfortunately can’t embed it, but click here to watch the amazing video directed by the equally amazing American director John Sayles.

Enjoy.

Here he is performing the song in Paris, 1985

No comments: