Monday, September 22, 2008

Human


Song: Human
Artist: The Killers
Album: Day & Age



Here’s one I’ve been very interested in hearing… new music from the Killers. “Human” is going to be the first single from their third studio album “Day & Age” which is set to be released at the end of November. After the Springsteen-aping “Sam’s Town” the Vegas boys are going a bit back to their “roots” for new wave-inspired pop-rock tunes. In what seems like the perfect marriage, they have teamed up with Stuart Price whom is producing the entire album. (Since his production of Madonna’s “Confessions on a Dancefloor” he’s produced Seal’s last album and is currently working on the new Keane record.)

I was a big fan of “Sam’s Town” and still listen to it quite a lot. I never got tired of that albums lead single, the driving, rocking, and poetic “When You Were Young,” which, incidentally got a killer remix from a Mr. Price, who also did a great remix for their biggest hit, “Mr. Brightside.” Since the band really hit it out of the park with “When You Were Young” as first single, my expectations were pretty high for “Human” which the band described as “like Johnny Cash meets the Pet Shop Boys.” Hmm… that sounds good, I’m just not sure I hear it.

“Human” certainly re-claims the synths and Price’s “future-disco” style… but I am certainly not immediately in love with it. It’s a little more ethereal where I was expecting something hooky and driving. And what to make of the chorus which states, “Are we human, or are we dancer.” Does that even make sense? Regardless, unless they suddenly drop the ball I pretty much predict I’m going to love this record, just thought the track they would use as first single would be a bit more immediate.

What do you think?

Enjoy.


Mr Brightside (Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duke Mix)


When You Were Young (Jacques Lu Cont remix)

No comments: