Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Don't Know Why


Song: I Don't Know Why
Artist: Ben Kweller
Album: Ben Kweller







Ben Kweller is a bit of a music prodigy. He began writing his own songs at the age of eight and won an honorable mention from Billboard magazine for their yearly songwriting contest the following year. He was eleven when his first official band, Radish was formed, and fifteen when they were signed to Mercury. He has now released a total of three albums with his latest, the self titled “Ben Kweller” coming out this year.

I wasn’t familiar with Kweller aside from his contributions to the Hedwig tribute “Wig in a Box” and his cover of “Wait” on the Rubber Soul tribute “This Bird Has Flown.” His quite singer-songwriter flare can come across as inconsequential at first but this album has been making my daily playlist for the last two weeks and the songs are slowly creeping up on me. All day yesterday a song of his would come on and I would have to check out who it was, every time it was from this album. Because of this, picking a single song to highlight had proved to be pretty difficult, so “I Don’t Know Why“ was basically chosen at random.

“Ben Kweller” is filled with longing indie-pop songs about love and relationships made sweet by Kweller’s soothing delivery and earnestness. I can just imagine that this guy was deemed pretty adorable as he grew up, learning instruments and singing so young. I do highly recommend this album as it is pretty consistent throughout.

No comments: